Monday, January 17, 2011

The one where I realize I use my blog to complain about my life

So. New post. And I'm warning you that there might be a little bit of whining about my life. I mean contemplating.

Today, I realize that although I am learning a lot and picking up new skills and doing new things, I wish I could be someone else. Not someone else in general, but particular. It's a girl who goes to my school. She has lots of friends, is super pretty, has great hair, is constantly doing new things, doing volunteer work, and most notably--is the girlfriend of a boy I really wanted for my own. So I wished I could be her.

And then I got to thinking. Why can't I just be happy with being myself? I can see all the wonderful things about other people, but when it comes to seeing those unique qualities in myself, I am completely blind. Why do I always make awesome plans about all the awesome things I'm going to do so that one day I will be awesome, and then never act on those plans from day to day? I spend so much time wishing I was someone else, or wishing I was the me in the future instead of taking action to make myself that person.

I will never become that person if I don't act daily. For example, I have an enormous list of books I want to read, but I instead of spending my evenings pouring over the pages of classic literature, I turn on the TV and tune into its alluring glare and superficial reality shows.

That ends now.

No comments:

Post a Comment