Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Boys, dating, and sex. Oh my!

Well. Well, well, well.

I will do my best not speak negatively of boys in this post.

I have found that dating sounds simple in theory, but is in fact, rather difficult.

Take my roommate for example. She picks up boys at the bar, is twitterpated and utterly blind to all flaws for a few days, and then something goes wrong (big surprise) and she is completely devastated until she can get to the bar again and meet a new guy. This self-destructive pattern has been happening since I met her. She doesn't seem to realize that if she keeps dating the same type of guys and giving away sex like free pretzels, she will never get out of this cycle that only ends in misery for her and an "oh yeah..." for said boy.

Then there's me. Boys seldom ask for my phone number. Last week, one boy did. A football player in one of my classes. Tall, dark, and sexy, and of course I was thrilled when he approached me while I was at lunch with my friends in the rotunda. Over the course of the weekend however, although we didn't spend any time together, I discovered something about him that I knew he was interested in all along, but had hoped he wasn't. Let's just say he expressed orally his desires. Of course I turned him down, this isn't the first time I've faced such pressure, and although I am a little disappointed, it's nothing to ruin my day, or even my week.

Just because things didn't work out with this one boy doesn't mean that all men are pigs, or that it is even entirely all their fault (though they do share much of the blame), because we aren't naive and should be able to spot these types of men right away by now.
Boys and dating can be hard things.





And that's what she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment