Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Excellent!

That's what I say now when people ask how I am.

It took a bit of practice at first, but I think I've mastered it now. See, when people ask how you are, they either don't wait to listen to your answer or they just don't care. So the answer you give isn't for them. It's for you. Before, my answer was most often, "fine." That's alright. Nothing negative about that, but next time someone asks you the question, "How are you?" Reply with a resolute and cheerful "excellent!" Not only will it make you feel better, but it often shakes people out of routine and you'll get some great reactions.

When I first began doing this I had to make a conscious effort to do so.  Now it's second nature. I sometimes don't even realize I've done it. I could be having a terrible day and this is what happens:
"How are you?"
"Excellent!"
"Oh really? Why?"
And then I realize that I don't have a reason to be feeling excellent. I've only been feeling excellent because I have made up my mind to be.

Of course you can switch it up. Fantastic and awesome work just as well. The important part is that you're happy and positive. Pretty soon, you will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment