Monday, May 2, 2011

Here's my problem with pop culture:

Pop culture itself isn't the problem. Those who subscribe to it are.

Let me explain.  While they are very mainstream, and I don't like them as people, music artists like Lady Gaga and Kesha have found their way onto my Zune (for those of you unfamiliar, Zune is Micrsoft's response to the iPod) because their songs are catchy and I enjoy them.

I also have a number of other artists in my music collection, many of them I doubt any of my friends have even heard of.  I like A Fine Frenzy, Kate Nash, She and Him, Eel, The Knocks, and The Like just to name a few.  Their's is music I really love and really fits my personal style.

So here's the problem then...many people are just sheep following the masses.  If it's on the American Top 40 they like it, and they also make no attempt to discover their own taste in music.  Here's an example. When I was 11, I LOVED ABBA music. Loved it. Granted, it had already been discovered by many other people...in the eighties...when I hadn't been born.  Years later when I got to college, a movie called Mamma Mia was released, a movie based on the music of ABBA. Suddenly all of my friends were into the music I had been obsessed with and gotten over years before.

This pattern has repeated throughout my life.  My problem with pop culture is that it determines what people are interested in rather than people choosing for themselves what they are interested in and determining pop culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment