It sure has been a while since I posted.
Lately I've been on a journey of self-discovery. Well...of re-self-discovery. Of re-discovering myself. Whatever. I had begun identifying myself as that one guy's other half. I was re-shaping my entire life to include him, and then suddenly he was gone. Suddenly I had to be an independent person again, and I had no idea how to do that. You don't just wake up one day and realize who you are. It's a process, not an event. So, here's how I began (note that this process may be different for you):
1. I had a realization. I hadn't done anything for myself in a long time. Everything was all about him, or about other people (teachers, friends, boss, etc.) So I made a couple days all about me. I took off work. I went to the library. I only did the things I wanted to do. I read some books, I ate junk food, and I watched (500) Days of Summer. Twice.
2. I had another realization. I didn't believe any of the bullcrap cliche's everyone was telling me. The only person I was going to believe, I realized, was myself. So immediately, I stopped all of the negative self-talk. I stopped telling myself who I wasn't and started telling myself who I was. And I told other people. It was important that I told other people how I awesome I am (the people who already knew, I didn't want to sound like I was boasting to people I barely knew). Somehow, saying it out loud made it real. My self esteem has been getting re-built, just through that simple act.
3. I don't really have a three. Mainly, it's just the continuance of these things. Doing things for myself, getting back into hobbies and things I enjoy doing, and having positive self-talk.
I really love reading (young adult fantasy lit), listening to music (Regina Spektor and She and Him are a couple favorites), listening to podcasts (check out This American Life, The Moth, and We're Alive), and sewing (Pinterest and Stumbleupon are huge time wasters, but huge inspiration boosters for crafts).
No comments:
Post a Comment